Security Coordination Centre SCC Ltd. Belgrade is a modernly organized, efficient company, with applied advanced technologies and qualified professional staff, and as such represents the key actor in enabling Transmission System Operator’s (TSOs) coordination in South East Europe to tackle the new challenges in operational planning processes. SCC is Regional Security Coordinator (RSC) - a regional company that is owned by their service users, the TSOs. RSCs are recognised by EU law in mid-2017, when the System Operation Guideline, one of the EU network codes, was implemented.
On 10 December 2015, European TSOs and ENTSO-E signed a “Multilateral Agreement on Participation in Regional Security Coordination Initiatives” (RSCI MLA). It requires TSOs to participate in RSCs and to contract five essential services from them. The agreement ensures also that TSOs and RSCs develop tools, procedures, and methodologies in a harmonised, interoperable and standardised way under ENTSO-E’s coordination. According to RSCI MLA, SCC provides following five core RSC services to its TSO service users:
- Validation and merging of Individual Grid Models (IGMs) – Common Grid Model (CGM) creation,
- Coordinated Security Analysis (CSA),
- Coordinated Capacity Calculation (CCC),
- Outage Planning Coordination (OPC) and
- Short-Term Adequacy (STA) forecast.
Management structure of SCC is a bicameral – consisted of two management bodies: Assembly and the Supervisory Board. These bodies are consisted of the SCC’s TSO shareholder representatives, and they are in charge of strategical management of the company. On the other hand, Director of the company is ultimately responsible for taking managerial decisions for the day-to-day operation of the company. Representatives of mentioned bodies are:
- Assembly: CEOs of EMS AD, NOSBIH and CGES AD;
- Supervisory Board:
- Mr. Dejan Dedović (CGES AD)– Chairman,
- Mr. Nemanja Pandurević (NOSBiH),
- Mr. Branko Šumonja (EMS AD);
- Director: Mr. Luka Okuka.
Assistant Directors for ICT, core business and development are senior executives who oversee ongoing business operations for different crucial company aspects, but also proven technical experts who provide professional assistance to the Director.
The Heads of departments in SCC are required to lead, manage and develop its departments to ensure they achieve the highest possible standards of excellence in all its activities. Head of departments are required to exercise leadership, demonstrate vision, and empower others in order to achieve predefined tasks:
- ICT department is in charge of maintaining very complex IT system that was developed over the years, which includes: communication and control of outsourced IT services, back up process, SIEM control, as well as basic administration of domain controllers, databases and IT networks.
- Development department is in charge of organizing all development activities from every-day administration, over the external projects, up to the continuous improvement of RSC services in line with the current ENTSO-E papers and EU practice.
- Operation department has a responsibility to timely and with high-quality provide all RSC services that are contracted with TSO service users.
- Data quality & analytics department has a responsibility to provide information related to quality of provided RSC services to the TSO service users, as well as to generate analytics that will be used by operational department for future improvement.
- Corporate department covers finance, accounting and legal tasks of the company.
In order to organise relatively small company, that has wide range of versatile obligations, SCC uses Kanban agile management approach, which provides significant flexibility and more efficient realisation of the projects. Basically, all work is divided into projects, and projects are split into tasks – realisation of each task is entrusted to the small team which is consisted of Head of department and several engineers. This approach supports the strong leadership, organizational transparency, teamwork, open communication, high interaction between team members and collaboration in the company, thus allowing for rapid adjustments throughout a project. In order to achieve this level of company organisation, close cooperation between Director and all departments is necessary.
Lead engineers in Operation department, Data quality & analytics department, Development department and ICT department are experienced electrical engineers that are capable to tackle complex problems and to be the leaders of teams devoted to development of new services, methodologies and business processes, including the improvement of the existing ones.
On the other hand, Operation Engineers, Development Engineers and Data quality & Analytics Engineers are part of the same development teams and represent the moving spirit of every task, but they also participate in the execution of operational procedures in everyday business processes. Kanban management approach requires that Operation Engineers, Development Engineers and Data quality & Analytics Engineers in SCC have to be able to quickly shift priorities form one development task to another, while maintaining continuous and high-quality operational work in line with monthly predefined shift schedule.
Last but not least, Business-Technical Assistant is a key employee for providing smooth cooperation with third parties and for enabling continual administration of the company.
On 4 November 2006, Europe faced one of the largest electrical power disruptions in modern history, when more than 15 million consumers were left without electricity and the synchronous area of Continental Europe was divided into three sub-areas.
Mission & Vision
SCC’s main objective is to fully develop necessary RSC services defined by ENTSO-E’s (European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity) Policy Paper “Future TSO Coordination for Europe” and by “Multilateral Agreement on Participation in Regional Security Coordination Initiatives” (RSCI MLA) in order to fulfil operational planning standards which are defined by European Network Codes/Guidelines (NC/GL).
Security Coordination Centre SCC Ltd. Belgrade was founded on 15 June, 2015 by three SEE system operators: EMS (TSO from Republic of Serbia), CGES (TSO from Montenegro) and NOSBiH (ISO from Bosnia and Herzegovina).
SCC currently has 6 service users: EMS (TSO from Republic of Serbia), CGES (TSO from Montenegro), NOSBiH (ISO from Bosnia and Herzegovina, MEPSO (TSO from North Macedonia), OST (TSO from Albania) and TEIAŞ (TSO from Türkiye).
Modern management of the company, especially regional company that receives and process confidential information from TSOs, requires design and implementation of Information Security Management System (ISMS). ISMS of SCC has been assessed and found to meet the requirements of ISO/IEC 27001:2013 standard. Certificate was given by Denetik International Certification and remains valid subject to satisfactory Surveillance audits and Re-certification audit due before 7 September, 2025.